Good afternoon community! I decided to document turning a 42 sq ft closet into a usable grow room. This closet luckily has an A/C vent in the ceiling as pictured and this room is tucked away in a spare bedroom. The reason I did this custom build instead of the 4x4 tent, is because I was able to hone in this environment within 3 degrees and 15% humidity with the door closed. Because of this, I skipped the tent to give myself more room to grow and manage the plants as I was able to dial in the environment.
I had a company come in and do an exhaust job going through my ceiling as this window faces the front of my home and I am wanting to be discreet about my setup. Also, the HOA are a bunch of A holes :)
I didn't want to rip the carpet out of my closet, and I needed a nice even surface for my plants to sit on. After some research I found that floating floors was the way to go. I got a 1/4'' piece of plywood from Lowes and cut to length and sat this on top of my carpet. I next purchased some cheap laminate waterproof flooring to give it more of a finished look.
The cheap job looks pretty decent. The room isn't square, and these cheap flooring need all the sides to 'lock' into place so don't mind the gap on the right side of the wall. That's where I'll have a tower fan and humidifier and heater anyways. So it won't be noticed. The only real problem is the carpet is really thick and fluffy so I was unable to open/close my door with the plywood and flooring installed. This forced me to leave an open area by the door, which again, isn't a problem as I wasn't planning on growing there.
This is why the whole room is not covered in plywood and laminate flooring. I wouldn't be able to get into my grow space!
The intended grow space was originally just a 4x4. So I only purchased 2 Electric Sky ES 300's to cover this foot print so this is all not a big deal - yet. I did have flat white paint in the closet, but I am in a very humid part of the world and moisture/mold was NOT going to be an issue for me. So, I introduced some Mylar for the walls to help keep the environment clean and easy to clean after grows.
I wrapped the room in Mylar and blacked out the window facing the street. With all my lights on in this space I can stand on the street at 2am and not see a single thing in that window. So awesome!
Next we start tackling the lights and figuring out where to put them. This was a pain in my butt. For real. It was really just alot of trial and error. I would mount a block of 2x4 to my ceiling through the studs and hung 2 fisheye screws into the lumber so as to not damage the house too much. After some wiggling and moving around this is where I'm at.
I have it coming almost 7'' off the wall and spaced 1'18'' apart from each other. This seems to be some slight overlapping and not wasting alot of my grow space. I have zip ties for the extra wires/cabling on top of the lights, and waiting for some cable management nails to come via Amazon to run the power cables for the light along the wall, as well as the dimmer cable for the lights. Right now I simply tucked them behind the Mylar.
This is where I'm at now gentlemen. I need to hang the AC T6 and build a floating shelf for my 6'' vivosun charcoal filter. I'm a new grower, and if it looks like I'm doing something weird or missing something, chime in! I'm here to learn and do this right. I love this community and I'll keep you guys posted as I chug forward in this build. Having a blast hope you guys are as well! Happy growing